How to make Bacon and Pepper Strata
There is little that is more American than having bacon. It is one of the iconic foods that most Americans eat. In this series, we are going to try and help you find new ways to make bacon for your family at home.
If you do not know what a Strata is, it is basically a breakfast casserole. It is easy to make and it will feed several people. It is perfect for giving people at Sunday School a great meal.
What will you need:
- 6 slices peppered bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sliced clives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf french bread cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups Fontina cheese
Steps to prepare Bacon Strata
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat (roughly 8 minutes). Transfer the bacon to a paper towel. This should leave the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Cook the bell pepper mushroom and garlic over medium heat in the skillet with the bacon fat. After about four minutes, strip the bacon pieces back into the skillet
- Spray a deep 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and put it aside for now.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, creams, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Use 50% of the ingredients to create the first layer. Arrange the bread slices on the bottom of the prepared baking dish, distribute the bacon, pepper and mushroom mixture over bread and sprinkle with cheese. Pour half of the egg mixture evenly over the first layer. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients for the second layer, finishing with all of the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until the egg is set and the top is beginning to brown and bubble.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then set.
Bacon Strata sounds like there is a lot of things that can go work but it is actually pretty simple to make. Kitchen Kodiak had no problem with making it when we tried this recipe.